Wednesday, April 02, 2003

Dear readers, do you think Modern Fantasy Literature should count as a medieval studies course?

Not even if I write my paper on Tolkien's use of aspects of Old English rhetoric from poems like The Wanderer and The Ruin?

You see, somehow, this summer, I must take two classes and finish my MA thesis. The three courses technically being offered in Medieval Studies are Women in Medieval Religious Life [and, note, by religious, they mean Christian], Advanced Latin Palaeography [how to read medieval manuscripts - this class has nothing to do with dinosaur bones] and Latin Reading. The first two courses are offered in the first summer session, while the third is offered in the second summer session.

I really don't feel like taking another plain and ordinary Latin course. Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt. [Actually, I haven't bought the t-shirt, but I will one of these days.] Now, the head of the department (who shall remain nameless for Googling purposes) really doesn't like people to take two classes during the same summer session, because it's too much work and people don't put enough effort into either of the classes.

If, instead of taking Women in Medieval Religious Life, which would be a scary difficult course, or taking Latin Reading, which is just unnecessary, I take the English department's grad student course on Modern Fantasy Literature and write that paper on Tolkien and Old English rhetoric... you see, it won't be too much work at all, because I've already done three-quarters of the reading for the fantasy course and I know my paper topic!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home