Tuesday, June 10, 2003

Dear Iris,

Your point on hidden misogyny is interesting, incidentally, the book does deal with the fact that MtFs often dress up ultra feminine for the first few months wanting to be more like a woman than any 'real' woman, before slipping into jeans and sweatshirts like everyone else, because they realise that not only do they look ridiculous, but because it also has nothing to do with how well you are recognised as female.....if you look like a man in a sweatshirt, you'll look like a man in a skirt. Also, it concluded that social mannerisms were maybe the hardest thing to change and that for some it never worked. My point with the quote was much like yours....men simply don't really recognise or take seriously the inhibitiveness of certain aspects of being a woman..until they stand in the situation themselves ( which many of them never will). It is true...whether they are MtF or FtM, people have chosen to change gender on the basis of all they have known, which is stereotyped gender roles and once they do change, they simply slide into the role and even claim to be much more comfortable in it !

I think the point iof the book was, that however successful you are in changing your attributed gender and even with a sex change operation, you will never become 'a woman' or 'a man', but always be transsexual, because in the end, your genetic make up does not and can not change. It is a process which never finishes and something you have to prove to yourself and others time and time again.

I am not saying hooray, lets all change gender, in fact I still don't really understand what goes on in these peoples minds, but it just made interesting reading. I am wondering why your trangendered paid resident went to an all-woman's college and how much of her wish to be called 'he' was to do with gaining power or empowewring herself ? Especially in an all female environment.

Changing the subject entirely, I was sitting on the Tube as it is called here and listening to my cd walkman. People always tell me to switch it off because it will make me deaf etc., but when I think of all the noise that my ears are subjected to on the Underground, in buses, busy roads here in London, I don't think it makes much difference. If I put my earphones in on the street, then get into a bus or the underground, the noise of the vehicle will most often be so loud, that I can't hear the music very well. The noise of traffic on Tottenham Court Road or Oxford Street is at least as loud as my walkman and it is the same for the underground and buses. If listening to my cd walkman will make me deaf in the long run, then living in London and taking public transport will have the same effect.

Oh, yes, and just to make you Nunnies a bit jealous, I am seeing Ralph Fiennes in Ibsen's play Brand tonight........giggle. I have always wanted to see and Ibsen play and with him in the lead, all the better. Tell me, why do all Hollywood actors want to tread the stage in London. One would think the fad had become unfashionable by now, they have been at for 2 or 3 years now. London has enough starving actors looking for work.

St. Scarlett



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home