Thursday, June 26, 2003

I am going to avoid making blog comments about HP 5 until Iris has completed it, and even then I think I'm going to figure out how to program spoiler code. It shouldn't be that hard - just changing the color of the font so it's invisible unless selected.

Nevertheless Iris' garden cleaning methods do remind me of de-gnoming gardens in Chamber of Secrets. The de-gnoming process involves taking the gnomes by the leg and swinging them around and around until they get dizzy and then let go so they fly out of the garden.

Life... I don't have class again until Monday... Monday, the 25th of August... in California. I told a former professor of mine that I was switching universities. She wished me good luck and said, "Personally, I think moving is the worst event in human life, but then I've neither given birth nor died."

Meanwhile, the Supreme Court has ruled on Lawrence vs. Texas. Consensual sex is apparently no longer a crime in the United States of America.

From the NYT version of the AP article (I didn't link it because registration is required):

Although the majority opinion said the case did not "involve whether the government must give formal recognition to any relationship that homosexual persons seek to enter,'' Scalia said the ruling invites laws allowing gay marriage.

``This reasoning leaves on shaky, pretty shaky grounds, state laws limiting marriage to opposite-sex couples,'' Scalia wrote.


Poor Justice Scalia. How very shocking. Can anyone logically and coherently explain to me why civil gay marriage is so threatening? I understand why right-wing religious groups would prefer same-sex marriage not to be permitted in religious ceremonies within those right-wing movements. The "because G-d said so" argument is valid in religious contexts. A free government in which church and state are separated, however, cannot base its legal judgments solely on the opinions of the church(es).

I'll be absent from the blog for the next several days - back in the Poconos, with family this time. Erica, if you're reading this, you may be interested to know that we'll be about twenty minutes from Stroudsburg.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home