Saturday, August 02, 2003

Dear Nunnies,

I am back in the fold. Or that is, I am out in the field. Quite literally. I am doing the ancient anthropological trade of fieldwork (though my brother,a paleontologist who spends weeks on barren lands in the heat digging the earth for bones,denies this can be field"work").But once in a while I do pop into the Nunnews blog for a peak......Sister Edith´s brother´s wedding serial keeps me wondering how the happy event possibly could have ended happily. But I geuss alls well that ends well...

I myself am currently in Banska Bystrica, Slovakia, Central Europe. In this town they don´t have church bells. Instead there is glockenspiel every hour emanating from all the bell towers. Cringe factor 100. But I am writing about this detail of life in Bystrica, because it for some reason shows the character of this town. It is the regional capital and holds all the reginal courts, a university and a number of other centers of higher education. The accent spoken in this region was used as the model for the oficial written and spoken Slovak language. Poeple are very aware of this and proud of their town. The town square is renovated and everyone sits outside drinking cappucinos, sodas and beers. Saturday night they have live music playing.All in all a verz decent town.

I bet you it has a dark side somewhere.....but no one ever mentions it.

I don´t spend much time in town. Well, partly that is because if you go window shopping more than once every two weeks, you get bored. What my fieldwork has consisted of until now, is going to a small village 10 kilometers out of town, to learn to make hand made lace from a lovely old lady, who still at the age of 80 makes lace for sale. I think I am beginning to be part of their daily life by now, but they still won´t let me wash the dishes. That has become my goal....when they let me wash their dishes I know that I´m getting somewhere others maybe wouldn´t. Patience, patience....

Thinking of the coupling of women and magic...I simply can´t see any Foucault in that. except to say, it is a discourse some of us obviously still use. Reallz, it amazes me someone is still in that groove.......Durkheim would probably have a lot to say about it.Systems of classification. In almost all cultures, women have been connected to the occult, magic and the myterious.Biologists would sayit had to do with female fertility and the mysteries it posed to mankind.

Whats this about a nation-state, Sister Andrea ?

have to run back into the field.........Scarlett

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home