Monday, April 14, 2003

I went to teen sensitivity training at the library today. It was fine.

(I'm practicing my typical teen response, was it effective?)
The speaker was from a neighboring city in the state, and specialized in setting up youth groups at libraries. Lets just say the reception was warm for the man, but a little cool for the message. Older librarians really aren't crazy about the low income, under-priveliged teenagers that come into the library, sometimes to hang out or do homework, at other times to wait for the bus, or engage in a little mischief.

Being the youngest, and most teen-like among the staff attending, I felt concious of the fact that I was supposed to be the most knowledgeable about teens. In some ways I might be less capable of dealing with teens a little younger than me, since they wouldn't respect my presence as a staff member quite as much as they might with an older woman or man. But I do have a leg up when it comes to knowing the material. I read youth literature more than adult lit now that I'm out of college, and let me tell you its such a relief to be able to find a plot and stay with it. I'm currently reading Lloyd Alexander, which I never had a chance to touch as a kid, and I'm thoroughly hooked.

I have to go work on my little brother's film screenplay now.. I've decided its going to be about a washed up espionage agent with a briefcase cuffed to his wrist. I'll try my hand at emulating Graham Greene in ten minutes flat. ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home