Tuesday, August 26, 2003

California Recall: A Revolution, or a Really Dumb Idea? (perhaps both)
Thomas Nephew got me thinking about the California recall vote. I've of course had my opinions on the subject, but now that people are starting to attach democratic ideals to this three ring circus, I thought I would stop being coy, and be myself:glib.

If one were to believe that this recall is really the will of the people, like the storming of the Bastille, then let them deal with the consequences, like the French had to.. I'm not saying Arnold is the next Napolean (though he's not as tall as you think he is), but just think of all the heads that will roll. Sorting out who stays and who goes underneath the new governor is going to be a nasty, nasty business, and not the least bit economical.

But this is not about economics, nor is it about democracy, or something like it. It barely touches most of our political psyches, because the act of putting your signature down on a sheet of paper is not directly connected to your brain-- if it were, there would be a lot less credit card debt in this country. No, this started as a combination of one man's ego, a group of people's greed, and a mountain of suckers.

Let them eat cake.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home