Monday, November 03, 2003

Busy Weekend, Part Deux

On Saturday Night, I attended Pioneer High School's splendiferous (did you know that was a word?) production of Les Misérables. Based on the book by Victor Hugo, Le Mis is a show I have never seen before, though I have heard the music on CD. I hadn't really been impressed with the music (lots of whiny voices in my book), but I ended up really enjoying this production. First of all, my little brother was second trumpet in the pit, so I really couldn't complain too much about the music. What really blew me away was the beautiful voices the leads all had, and the amazing amount of work had gone into set design, which was strikingly similar to the real off broadway show.

Valjean was played by a bear of a Junior who literally carried around the guy playing Javert for a good chunk of the second act. The two, Marius, Eponine and Cozette were beautifully mic-ed, so we could actually hear them. And they could all sing. Really sing. Clay Aiken-type singing capabilities. We had some good vocalists back in my day, but the sheer number of good vocalists in this production made watching the who two hour plus spectacle enjoyable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home